Thursday, April 14, 2011

Comfort Nursing


Colton is a hard nurser.  Chayden was super easy to nurse.  He loved nursing!!! He would comfort nurse for MINUTES during our sessions just for that special bond I'm sure.  Our Sessions lasted 45 long, loving minutes. He didn't care if it was light out, dark out, loud, noisy ... He LOVED to comfort nurse and I allowed it and took full advantage of it.
But, my sweet, chunky Colton.  Oh ... um... He nurses about once every 2 hours.  He nurses about 3 minutes on each side, tops. He sucks once, lets go. Sucks again, lets go, etc etc ....  Thank GOD I have a fast let down or else we'd be at this all day.  He just, I don't know, hates nursing?  He isn't much of a snuggler unless he is standing up so its hard to nurse him.  But, I will not fail at this.  My goal is 2 years & while Colton refuses comfort nursing now ... I hope he catches on in the future.  He is ONLY 5 months old so I hope it changes.  I feel like I want that special bond with him.  Don't get me wrong, we have a very special bond.  But only if he is NOT nursing.  =[

5 comments:

  1. thanks for linking up with this weeks blog hop! it's so interesting to see how different kids nurse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure he has the right latch? My baby was going on and off and on and off but it was just his latch. He would stay on for a bit because the letdown would give him some but when it would slow down, he'd let go and fuss and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ladies!! =]

    @Callista; He does indeed have the correct latch. I think he has reflux though. it will be brought up at his 6 month appointment. He spits up a tremendous amount after he's done eating. i think it hurts him to eat. it has gotten worse and worse. which is why i refuse to give up nursing =] if i didn't know better or didn't care, omg ... i would of given up months ago. no literally. its frustrating. =[

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you the best of luck with his 6 month appointment! My daughter has milk issues and only drinks soy. I have soy issues and only do dairy. Thus, the 4 weeks I fed her were AWFUL. We were constantly covered in an "export" from one end or the other. Finally, the pediatrician said, sorry hun, try soy formula, and our BONDING was done. Two years later, I am nursing for 4 months straight with the most snuggly lil man who has never known anything but his Mama. After reading your post, I don't feel so alone in the "pain" of not having the same #bfing bond with my kids. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turns out, all that fussyness and "non" bonding was due to acid reflux. he was put on meds and is now comfortably nursing. i wonder if it'll turn into comfort nursing.

    ReplyDelete