Thursday, June 30, 2011

Breastfeeding & Pumping



When Chayden was first born, I got a FREE $300 Medela Automatic Breastpump in the hospital.  Insurance covered it, but thats beyond the point.  Got home.  Settled in.  Chayden was an amazing nurser!  He never fussed or fought.  Thing is, it took him 45 minutes for a session to end.  Once he turned 4 weeks old, I nervously decided to take the Medela Breastpump out and .... pump.  I sat there.  10 minutes go by.  Nothing but 1/2 oz all together between both breasts.  Dang dude.  Really?  Okay, lets be patient. I remember sitting in the corner, in the lay-z-boy chair.  Relaxing. Pumping.  1 hour went by. No joke.  I was thinking that this was impossible because I got about 2 oz. all together.  But I saved it.  I did the pumping session again the next day.  I did it every day for about 2 weeks and got about 10 baggies with 2 oz in them.  *frowny face*  I said, literally, "This damn thing sucks! It ain't working!  I hope I don't have to use it again! BROKEN piece of $%^#". Meh. Luckily I never ever used expressed milk.  But from that point forward, I hand expressed during nap times and got much more milk out.  I ended up saving about 3 oz a day from hand expression done several times a day.  What an exhausting experience. 

4 1/2 yrs pass. Colton is born (8 Months ago from now).  I lie there in the hospital bed.  The midwife comes in and says, "So, will you be pumping as well?"  I said, "Oh no. I have the Medela Pump from almost 5 years ago and it doesn't work. Is there anywhere that I can bring it?  I never got anything and never felt it work on me with Chayden."  
She looked puzzled and told me to just ship it to Medela or Have a lactation consultant look at it.  Ha. I don't Have time for that.  So I ended up saying in the end, "I won't pump this time around.  I never had to use pumped milk with Chayden and I don't think I'll have to use it this time around either.  I'm fine." 
We got home from the hospital days later and Bobby is on the couch trying to figure out why this Pump had zero suction.  Why I never felt it when it was on the highest volume and highest pressure.  Why I never got anything good out of it.  We have NO idea what he did but Bobby got the thing to work!  We childishly placed the horns on our hands, tummy, etc  .. to feel the intense suction!  Colton was 2 1/2 weeks old I believe so I decided,  Let me give this a shot.  Let me pump for giggles and see how it goes.  
5 minutes and 8 oz later, I was flabbergasted! I felt like I just won an award! I was addicted!  I loved it!  I pumped from that point forward a few times a day.  3x's a day.  8 oz in 5 minutes each time!  The freezer was stock full within weeks to the point that it was impossible to grocery shop.  I ended up having to wean myself from pumping. LOL. 
We had used a bottle of pumped milk for Colton a few times when Bobby and I went out on a date.  We had tossed several bags too because it was past its freezer life.  But, I do not pump anymore.  I'm sure I can if need be.  And I will start back up because I thaw one bag a day for Colton to drink in a sippy cup.  We're getting pretty low.  Time to break the pump out again!  Dust it off and relax <3

8 comments:

  1. lol. Thanks for sharing your story. I haven't decided if I'm going to pump yet or not. They're expensive and I'm not sure I'd use it enough to justify the price. I'm not going to be working, so I don't really NEED a pump, but I do like the idea of being able to go on a date and not having to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if a very affordable pump would work? See, I dont' work either and with my oldest, I bought a can of formula and made "milk" in a sippy cup for meals. Or I put water in there. That was the only time we used formula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once thought my pump was awful too. Then I discovered that I needed larger breast shields. That did the trick. The difference in volume expressed was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up with this week's blog hop. My body doesn't respond well to a pump with this little munchkin, maybe it will with baby #2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could pump lots like that. But, like Marah, my body doesn't really respond well to a pump.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did better with the twins than I did this time around and this time I didn't get nearly as much using a hands free pumping bra, so I was always holding my pumps or bracing them on my desk. no fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with the others I don't' get much :(

    New follower, and blog hopper!

    http://mrs07c.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! i had NO idea pumping would be THIS versatile for everybody!

    ReplyDelete